Wednesday, February 23, 2011

More pet problems

I'm sorry I haven't commented on all of your comments. I wanted to thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. This week unfortunately hasn't been very good. Last Wednesday I caught Daisy eating something, but couldn't get to her in time to get it out of her mouth. The next day she started throwing up, and finally after throwing up about 7 times she brought up 2 elastic hair bands that were tied together (Evie had been playing with them and tied them together). I thought she would be fine after that, but she seemed really lethargic. I gave her homemade pedialyte in a dropper to keep her hydrated. Friday we took her in, and they did x-rays. They said they didn't see any blockage, and they gave her a shot of anti-nausea medicine. The next day she seemed almost like her old self. The vet told us to wait to feed her until morning. We did, and she gobbled it down. A few hours later, the shot wore off (it was good for 24 hours). She started throwing up again. I spent 2 days doing the pedialyte thing with a dropper. She wouldn't eat, and when she did, she threw it up. We took her to the vet yesterday (he was not our usual vet, but was the same office). He basically gave us 2 options: Surgery to see if there is a blockage or hospitalize her. We couldn't afford to do either one. We have already spent almost $400 already, and the costs were out of this world to hospitalize her or do surgery. We are talking in the thousands. So they agreed to give her another shot of the anti-nausea medicine and send her home. She stopped throwing up, but when the meds wore off today, she threw up again. I have been giving her droppers full of pedialyte ever 15-30 minutes. Today when we called the vet, they said it was either the surgery or euthanasia. I keep questioning if it is just a case of gastritis, where her stomach is so irrated from all the throwing up that she doesn't want to eat, and when she does it just causes more irriation which makes her throw up. They said that couldn't be possible. HOW COULD THAT NOT BE POSSIBLE???? When a human throws up for days and days, they don't usually feel like eating either! They did agree to give us 4 days worth of anti-nausea medicine. I just gave it to her. I am going to try feeding her homemade cooked pureed chicken and some kefir (like yogurt) very slowly and see how she does. I don't even want to think about euthanasia. We just lost a pet last week! Ugh. Please pray.

4 comments:

Jules said...

Oh Jen I'm so sorry. Of course I'll pray.

April said...

Oh no... I feel so bad for Daisy and you guys; I pray that she gets better very soon.

Daisy said...

Jen, how are you making out with Daisy? I'm SO sorry this is happening!!

SchnauzerMom said...

I'm so sorry, I will pray for her. I hope that she will be OK.