Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Winter wonderland

Oooh fun! My very first blog post :). I have wanted to do this for awhile, but just never got around to it. I talk so much that I figure this is one good way to get out some of my chattyness (is that a new Jen word?).

The snow really came down last night and this morning. Jeff took pictures before he left for work this morning because the snow was so pretty. We have gotten so much snow this winter. The picture here is the view from our front windows. Maybe we can go outside today and make a snowman!

I started making soap a few months ago, and made a new batch on Sunday afternoon. I am using lard for the recipe, and I have to say that it smells rather barnyard-ish (another Jen word for today). I'm hoping the smell wears off. Nothing like maple cinnamon soap (that is the scent I made) with a little side smell of barn animal. Yuck! I will have to check and see how it turns out in a few weeks as it cures. This is only my second batch of soap. The next batches I am not going to use lard. I am going to make it with oils like coconut, olive and canola. That way I will avoid the yucky animal smell. The first batch of soap I made was goat's milk soap, and I scented it with lavender. The lard smell did go away, but I wasn't super impressed with the soap. It was okay, and definitely not bad for my first attempt, but it wasn't spectacular by any means.

I didn't homeschool today. I am doing it about 3 days a week right now since Evie is only in Kindergarten. So far she already has way more days in than most kindergarten kids get, and she is learning a lot. She is writing all the letters of the alphabet, and she is starting to read. I can't believe how fast she is growing! Time really does fly by!

Well, I had better close for now. I need to go get some lunch!

No comments: