Friday, August 29, 2008

Pears, pears and more pears!

Do you think I am going to be busy?? Jeff came home from a business trip today, and we went over to the neighbors and picked about 3 bushels of pears. We barely made a dent in the tree. I bet there were about 20 bushels worth of pears on it. I figure this should keep me busy for a bit. I am planning to can some pearsauce (like applesauce, but made with pears), and I want to freeze some for putting in cobblers, smoothies and crisps. Pears actually make really good ice cream. I use frozen pears, and blend it in my Vitamix. The texture is creamy like ice cream, and is really sweet. I add peanut butter too, which makes it extra good. It may sound weird, but you can't knock it until you try it :). Jeff thought it sounded gross at first, until he tried it. Now he is hooked! We are going to the beach tomorrow, and we are going to see about getting another 1/2 bushel of peaches. The pears are still a bit unripe, so I will have a few days to work on peaches before the pears are ready. And then there is the salsa I need to make, and then apples are going to be ready. Hmm, I wonder if I can figure out a way to clone myself.

4 comments:

SchnauzerMom said...

Wow that is some tree! My DH loves pears but I don't care for them. Maybe I would like fresh pears straight off the tree.

April said...

Oh man! You lucky dawg you! I am so jealous; I love pears! That pear "ice cream" sounds so interesting to me; what a great idea. That must be a magic pear tree to have so many pears. We have a neighbor down the street with a huge apple tree loaded with apples. I wonder if he'd let us pick some because the last few years we saw them just rotting on the tree. Hmmm... just might have to ask him...

K said...

Wow, I'm jealous too!!!!

Daisy said...

Oh how I really want a freezer now after seeing what you do Jen!! Oh well maybe some day! I admire all you do!