Tuesday, June 12, 2012

How does your garden grow

I have that little poem in my mind. You know, the one that goes "Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow. With silver bells and cockle shells, and pretty maidens all in a row." Evie learned the poem, but didn't realize it was "cockle shells". I laughed so hard when she walked through the kitchen saying, "With silver bells and taco shells...." :). My garden is growing nicely. We have had such goofy weather, that some of my plants don't know what to do. One day it will be 90 degrees, and the next day it will be 75 degrees. My tomatoes are doing well. Here is a view from one end of the garden....
And here is a side view of my peas and beans growing up the fence. You can also see my celery, and part of my broccoli...
The broccoli and cabbage plants. My cucumbers are beside the broccoli, but you can't see them in the pictures very well.
The plant closest to the left is the Sweet Dumpling squash, surrounded by radishes. Next in line is the zucchini (Black Beauty), the next is Butternut Squash, then a variety of zucchini called Zucchini Rampicante. The only one that won't grow vertically is the Black Beauty. The rest we are going to grow up an 8 foot fence contraption that Jeff is putting together :).
Aside from the garden, our crazy Daisy has started to become an acrobat. I first noticed it when I walked in the living room, and she was in the window sill of our half moon window. I thought it was a toy Evie threw up there at first! It is about 7 feet up there, and that has become one of her new perches. I wish I had a picture of it! Last week, we walked into the dining room, and saw her sitting up on top of our plant shelf! I have to stand on a ladder just to get to it! This is her coming down from it...
Now she is just walking the tightrope of our super thin metal curtain rod. We still haven't totally figured out how she is getting up there. She is either climbing the curtains, or the screens. I trimmed her claws again, so we will see if she decides to do any more acrobatics!
Jeff's birthday was last week :). He didn't get to take the day off of work, which I was sad about. Evie and I decorated the house, and made him a cake. We went out to his favorite Mexican restaurant. I'm so thankful for my wonderful hubby!
April, I wanted to post this for you, since you are I are eating about the same way right now! It is a recipe for pita bread, and it is really good! Super easy too! I doubled the recipe, and it worked out well. I didn't use a big enough pan, and the dough overlapped a bit, but they still turned out. Here is the recipe:

Pita Bread
•1 egg
•1/4 cup of water
•1 tablespoon oil or melted butter – I used coconut oil
•1 tablespoon coconut flour, firmly packed – firmly packed is very important
•1/4 cup almond flour, firmly packed
•1/8 teaspoon baking soda
•1/8 teaspoon salt – use a good quality salt

1.Preheat oven to 350.
2.Whisk together egg, water and oil.
3.Add dry ingredients, whisk well to combine.
4.Pour into 2 equal portions onto a well greased sheet tray or even better lined with parchment
5.Spread each portion to a 5-6 inch round. – Don't spread out too thin or they can break when filling it, so make your first batch max 5 inches and go from there.
6.Bake for 18-20 minutes, it will be darker in color, and slightly crisp around the edges. – The person I got the recipe from cooked his for 25 min and they came out perfect.

Mine turned out great. A little funky shaped, but tasted great. Here they are stuffed with tuna and veggies:



1 comment:

April said...

Oh yay! The pita bread recipe! I am definitely going to try this. I'm out of almonds/almond flour so need to get some asap. I'll let you know how they turn out when I give it a go! :)

"Taco shells"? How cute; I would have laughed too, but from her perspective, what the heck is a cockle shell? :)

Your garden looks really nice. I wish I could grow some of the veggies you're growing - like peas and carrots and celery. They just don't like our summer heat and humidity. Maybe next year I can do an early spring garden and give them a try - while the weather is a little more "reasonable".

Daisy is sure being a cat! Our cabin has a lot of high places (beams) for our cats to get and it amazes me how they do it. They love being high though!

Happy Birthday to Jeff! (What kind of cake was that???) :)