Monday, June 15, 2009

Snowing, kayaking and barking

It really isn't snowing here, but it looks like it! We have cottonwood trees that are leaving these floaty white thingys all over the place. And everyone around here is sneezing, coughing, wheezing, etc. It has been really cool here for summer. Last week it barely got into the 70's. Yep, it's all that global warming we are having. Jeff got a kayak for his birthday, so now we have 2 of them. We have been kayaking on the channel that is across the street from our house. It leads to the river, and we have gone on the river a few times. I'm still trying to get used to being in a kayak. Jeff always has Evie in the kayak with him, and she loves it. I'm still pretty wobbly. The other day, I completely lost control and ran right into Jeff. So you can say I am kayaking challenged. I'm slowly learning though. It is a lot of fun! I would take a camera with me, but I'm not so sure that is a good idea with my wobbling around and all. There is a dock that is mostly in the water in one end of the channel. There is always about 15 turtles on there, and one is about the size of a dinner plate. Huge! When we go bike riding and Evie sees them, she yells "turtle soup!" and they all jump into the water :). We have been trying to walk a couple of times a day, or bike. We take the dog with us, in hopes that it will help calm her. She spends every waking moment of her day barking. She seems a leaf, she barks. She sees a squirrel, she acts like we have an axe murderer running through the yard. I always joke that if an axe murderer really came to the door, she would probably just wag her tail. She sees kids on bikes, she barks like they are riding off with all of our belongings. She just sits at the windows (which are everywhere in our house) and waits for something to bark at, which normally takes all of about 30 seconds because we live in a busy, active subdivision. We have been watching episodes of The Dog Whisperer, hoping that we may find some snippet of information to help us. He says walking a dog for 40 minutes a day really helps behavior problems. It certainly is good exercise for us!

4 comments:

SchnauzerMom said...

I hope you are able to find a great home for your dog.

Unknown said...

Hi SM. Well we walked her like crazy yesterday, and it worked! She was wiped out! She just laid around like a super tired pup. Plus it was really good exercise for us. If we can keep up with it, maybe things will be fine :).

Daisy said...

You'll have to get roller blades like Ceasar has! ;) I'm sorry you're having this problem Jen, I imagine it's really frustrating and upsetting!

I think it's cool that you are kayaking!

Unknown said...

Hi Daisy! Aren't his rollerblades cool? I have never seen any like them before! Jeff and I actually do have rollerblades. I think it would be fun to try them with Si Si, but it may be a little freaky if she takes off after a rabbit :)!